- Summary: The standards for representing country information in production systems are:
- For country identification in external-facing interfaces: ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country codes (mandatory).
- For country identification in Company internal use: ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country codes (standard). INTL codes (obsolescent).
- In public APIs and documentation. the term "region" should be used instead of "country" because ISO 3166 has codes for several regions that are not countries. such as Hong Kong and Puerto Rico.
- For legal and business reasons, Company products will generally only support a subset of the countries identified in ISO 3166.
- More Info: Language and Country identification, ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country codes. ESG discussion page on this standard .