SWP Setup Notes
Semantic Web Programming
(Hebeler, et al; Wiley)
assumes a particular setup, including:
- Eclipse Integrated Development Environment (IDE), version 3.4
- Java Software Development Kit (SDK), version 1.6
- Joseki (SPARQL endpoint for Jena; recommended)
- Pellet ontology reasoner, version 1.5.2
- Protégé ontology editor, version 4.0
Protégé uses Pellet as a reasoning plugin.
It uses Graphviz to support the OntoViz (Ontology Visualization) plugin.
An application can access Pellet (or other reasoners) by means of:
- the OWL (Java) API, supported by Protégé
- the Jena (Java) Semantic Web Framework
- SPARQL, via Joseki and Jena
Although Appendix F of the book provides general coverage of the installation process,
it cannot serve as a HowTo for every possible operating system.
So, I'm trying to assemble notes on how to set up these tools on specific platforms.
I created a HowTo page (see below) for Mac OS X and have asked for help in creating others.
Because we're creating a stack of software, the order of some installations is critical.
For example, everything
Also, before starting,
be sure you have a few GB of free space on your system disk.
This wiki page is maintained by Rich Morin
an independent consultant specializing in software design, development, and documentation.
Please feel free to email
comments, inquiries, suggestions, etc!